As a senior Media Arts and Design Major at James Madison University, I am looking forward to getting involved with companies and bringing my experiences to their businesses. I have an enormous interest in communication and the different approaches to the subject. I will be graduating in May and am currently looking for opportunities to expand my education and involvement in the corporate communications field.
- Ideally, I would like to be involved in employee communications. I am very interested in this subject area, and I stay up-to-date on how innovative companies are approaching it.
- I am also interested in any position having to do with public relations or corporate communications. I would like to be involved in contributing to a companies overall performance through communicating with the individuals who are important to the company.
- After completing two hands-on design classes, I know how to use the Adobe programs InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop. I can create and edit images for brochures, postcards, news articles, websites, and other publications. I am experienced in web creation and design. I also have experience creating videos with iMovie and podcasts and sound clips with Garage Band.
- In a news writing class, I learned the skills of news gathering and reporting in the internet age of immediacy. I wrote many stories and am very comfortable with reporting. I know what information reporters want from companies they are profiling or investigating and the format they prefer it in. I am very familiar with social media newsrooms and how to cater the content according reporters and bloggers needs.
- I have an extensive understanding of the corporate communications function. I have experience researching, writing, and presenting communication plans for companies. I understand how to effectively include multi-media and social media in practice. I have a firm grasp on the strategic planning processes of communications and the techniques used to make these plans relevant to the company’s constituents.
- I am familiar with the process, planning, positioning, and production of advertisements, and I have done substantial research on successful advertising campaigns. I have first hand experience in making complete marketing plans.
- Social media is a natural part of my life, and I understand the importance of companies getting involved in this new technology. I have studied various ways to measure its effectiveness, how to use it to reach different constituent groups, the ethical issues arising from its use, and how journalists use it for their stories.
- I work between 20-30 hours a week to pay for my student loans and finances. I have babysat and worked in Dining Services. At Dining Services, I interact with the public daily and handle money and credit cards.
- Since I was a junior in high school I have been working in car dealerships, and I still work there when I am not at school. I handle confidential paperwork, fill out accounting forms, do tags and titles for the Department of Motor Vehicles, as well as perform other office functions. In addition, I work as a cashier and a receptionist. I have extensive customer service experience and have to handle situations where customers are not satisfied and find a way to improve their experience before they leave the dealership.
- Academically, I have been on Dean’s List several times at James Madison. In high school, I graduated with honors in the top five percent of my class.
- “Cathy has always been reliable. She never misses a day of work and always goes above and beyond our expectations. She is hard-working and a pleasure to be around. She has great people skills, and can handle stressful situations with a level head.” – Paula Bethard, Office Manager at Stafford Dodge.
- “… She is always talking with our customers, and goes beyond her expected duties to make sure the customer has a good experience at our dealership.” – Patricia Wendel, Office Manager at Hendrick Honda.
Here are some samples of my work. I’ve included examples of a website, marketing plan, communications plan, magazine cover, movie, and news article.
This case study was done for a corporate communications class. The company, Cardinal Corp., needed to find a way to communicate with employees more effectively. I was in a group with four other students. This project involved extensive research of competing companies and best practices.
This is a marketing campaign for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Harrisonburg and Rockingham. I was in a team of five students and we developed this plan throughout the semester. The campaign objectives were to increase donations and the amount of volunteers for the program.
If my blog was made into a magazine, this would be the cover. The concept behind this magazine cover is to demonstrate certain topics discussed in my blog. I used the Adobe programs Photoshop and InDesign to create it.
Here’s an example of my web design skills. I used Adobe Dreamweaver to create the site. I created some multimedia content, rollover buttons, links, and a navigation bar.
This e-book explains how to effectively use and make blogs and podcasts. It is geared for communication professionals and serves as a how-to guide to these social media technologies. I did this project in a group, and I extensively researched and compiled numerous sources to generate the content with my team.
I made this video to visually explain my blog post EA People. I wrote the script and edited the film in iMovie. I included images to illustrate the points I am talking about.
- I am very familiar with social media technologies and their importance to businesses of all sizes.
- I am also proficient in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop, as well as iMovie.
Please contact me at cathybeckerr (at) gmail (dot) com for more information.